Traditional dampers are located in the “throat” of a fireplace. They are made of cast-iron and are housed in a low-tech frame work. These cast-iron dampers do not seal well—they have a leaky, rough, metal-to-metal seal. Recent lab studies have shown that even a new throat damper can leak up to $200 of heating and cooling a year. Imagine how much energy an old, rusted out damper leaks!
These Lock-Top Dampers seal tightly to save you money
- Lock-Top’s rubber gasket seals tightly like a storm door for your fireplace, and keeps heating and cooling dollars where they should be…in your home.
- Lock-Top mounts on top of your chimney to keep out animals and rain.
- Lock-Top easily operates from inside your firebox and seals tight everytime you close it—eliminating any draft.
Product Note: Lock-Top Dampers come with 30’ cable. 50’ sold separately
Lock Tops Damper Sizes
- 8″ x 8″ flues (fits 7″-9.25″)
- 8″ x 13″ flues (fits 7″-9.25″ x 11″-13.50″) -most common
- 13″ x 13″ flues (fits 11″ x 13.50″)
How They Work
The Friendly Fires lock top damper easily mounts on top of a masonry fireplace flue and is operated by a convenient, adjustable regulator installed on the side wall of the fireplace. It is far more efficient than conventional cast iron dampers and the ideal replacement for old defective dampers.
Lock Top Damper Features
- 100% Stainless Steel
- Lifetime warranty
- Comes fully assembled for fast and easy bolt on installation
- Spark arrestor standard
- Chimney fire tested with little or no damage to unit damper. Will not fall and block flue in event of a chimney fire.
- Saves energy. Tight seal on top of the chimney, keeps heat in when fireplace is not in use.
- Prevents down draft smoking caused by wind.
- Keeps out animals, birds, insects, bees, rain, leaves, wind and airplane noise.
- Six setting regulator controls the amount of draft to produce more heat when burning.
- Damper opens 6.5 inches
- Measure OUTSIDE of Flue Tile. Each size of Lock Top Chim-A-Lator has 2.25 inches of adjustment.
- Measure height of flue tile extending out of chimney. If this measurement is less than 1.25 inches, you will need a flue extension.
- Estimate length of flue. If longer than 30 feet, a longer cable will be required.
- Note: The lock top Chim-A-Lator® is shipped with 7 feet of cable casing to protect cable at rub points should your flue have an offset at the bottom. If offset is higher than 7 feet – a longer piece may be required.