For wood or gas stove customers looking for floor protection but are on a budget or do not want to spend a fortune, Friendly Fires has economy hearth boards that may work just fine.
These hearth board extensions protect walls and floors from intense heat, hot coals, ashes, and soot that wood stoves can produce.
- 26 gauge steel over mineral board for excellent protection
- Can be installed on a wall for heat protection and clearance reduction
- May also be used under other heating appliances such as kerosene, gas, and electric heaters
- Their embossed pebble-finish steel is scratch resistant
- For indoor use only
- UL/ULC listed
Inexpensive wood (or gas) hearth board extensions will increase the protection in front of your insert and does not stick up like other tile board hearth extensions.
Size: 18″ x 48″
How do I know what size hearth pad I need?
Please refer to the installation manual of your appliance. In your manual, it will let you know how large your hearth protection needs to be. All solid fuel appliances should be placed on a non combustible surface to protect the floor from hot embers that could fall from the appliance during loading and maintenance.
There are several reasons why you might need a hearth extension in front of your wood insert. Here are a few:
- Safety: A hearth extension provides a protective barrier between the hot surface of the wood insert and the surrounding floor. It helps prevent accidental contact with the hot surface, reducing the risk of burns or other injuries.
- Code Compliance: Building codes often require a certain distance between the wood insert and any combustible materials, such as the floor or nearby walls. A hearth extension ensures compliance with these regulations by providing the necessary non-combustible space.
- Heat Protection: Wood inserts can generate a significant amount of heat, and a hearth extension helps dissipate and distribute that heat more evenly. It acts as a thermal barrier, preventing excessive heat buildup in the immediate area and protecting the floor from potential damage.
- Ember Protection: Wood inserts can occasionally emit embers or sparks, especially when loading or stoking the fire. A hearth extension provides a catchment area for these stray embers, reducing the risk of them igniting nearby combustible materials.
- Aesthetics: In addition to its functional benefits, a hearth extension can enhance the overall appearance of your wood insert. It creates a defined space that visually separates the firebox from the surrounding area, adding a touch of elegance and providing a focal point for the room.
It’s important to consult the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes to determine the specific requirements for your wood insert and hearth extension. Additionally, professional installation or advice from a certified expert in fireplace installation is recommended to ensure proper safety measures are in place.
This BM0127 wood stove wood insert hearth board extension is in stock ready to ship.