Beef Tenderloin Au Poivre on the Grill
Prep Time: 20 mins
Grill Time: 130 mins
Beef doesn’t have to get boring. You can dress almost any recipe into something that will impress and we’re going to take this already posh recipe and put it on the Ritz!
Check out our Beef Tenderloin Au Poivre, because it’s not steak au poivre without peppercorns, and this tenderloin – yes a whole one – is just coated! Pair this perfectly cooked piece of beef with a creamy sauce and seasonal sides. In this recipe, you will learn how to prepare beef tenderloin perfectly.
• 1, 3 lb. beef tenderloin roast, trimmed, tied
• Kosher salt to taste
• ½ cup of freshly cracked peppercorns
• 1/3 cup of cognac
• 1 cup heavy cream
• Prepared horseradish to taste
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. The day before you want to cook, generously salt the tenderloin. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns until cracked but not a fine powder. Roll the seasoned roast in the peppercorns, coating as much as possible. Place the tenderloin on a wire rack over a baking sheet and allow it to sit overnight.
2. When you are ready to cook, insert a BBQ thermometer like Napoleon’s Bluetooth Digital Thermometer, and set the temp to 120°F. Preheat the grill to 250°F, using indirect heat. Place the roast on the rack over the baking sheet onto the grill and roast for up to 3 hours.
3. When the tenderloin reaches an internal temperature of 120°F, remove it from the barbecue and allow the roast to rest at least 10 minutes while you preheat your infrared SIZZLE ZONE sear station to high.
4. Sear the roast on all sides over direct, high heat until a good crust forms.
5. In a saucepan or the Napoleon Stainless Steel Wok, over medium heat, warm any juices from the roast. Remove from heat and add the cognac. Carefully set the alcohol aflame. You can do this by using a long match or a torch. Return the pan to the heat and add the heavy cream, and a little horseradish just to give this sauce a light kick. Whisk until the cream has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. Serve this beef tenderloin with your favorite side dishes. Seasonal vegetables, a bright salad, and, of course, potatoes.
Did you give this recipe a try? Post your comments below!