If you’ve never tried a smoked turkey, you and your family are in for a surprise!
Not only will it be the best turkey you’ve ever tasted, but it is also easier than you think! Follow along with a few recipes from our friends at Green Mountain Grills and Primo Ceramic Smokers below.
Mountain Man’s Special Turkey Recipe
- 1-Whole Turkey
- 5-Gallon Pale for Brining
- Aluminum Foil
- Brown Sugar
- Fresh Garlic
- GMG Poultry Rub
- Kosher Salt
Turkey takes a bit of time, so I see no reason to cook a small one. You can always freeze the leftovers – they will stay moist for several weeks if you use a vacuum-sealer!
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator. This will take anywhere from 2-5 days depending on the size of the bird. You can also thaw it in cold water in 8-12 hours.
- Remove the neck and the giblets from the bird’s cavities.
- If you don’t own a pan large enough for the turkey, just go to a box store and buy a 5-gallon plastic pail. Put the turkey in the pan or pail and then add enough water to completely cover it.
- Remove the turkey.
- Add enough kosher salt to the water until a raw egg seems buoyant. Stir. Add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar or molasses and 5 tablespoons of GMG Poultry Rub.
- Use a garlic press or mash several cloves of garlic with the side of a butcher’s knife and add to the brine. Stir thoroughly.
- Brine the turkey overnight. Make sure no part of the turkey is out of the water.
- Remove the turkey and pat dry with paper towels.
View the rest of the recipe from our friends at Green Mountain Grills.
Green Mountain Grills Peak Prime + WIFIProduct on sale
Another Turkey Option for your Primo Charcoal Smoker
Download the entire recipe from our friends at Primo Ceramic Grills here: Brined Turkey Recipe.
Merry Christmas from Friendly Fires!
However you cook your turkey this year we wish you a very Merry Christmas! Feel free to post photos of your birds below!